Thursday, February 26, 2015

Some Criticism of Some Criticism


There have been some very bad things written about Norman Rockwell.  Deborah Solomon's biography American Mirror is the outstanding example here.  I've written a pretty fair amount about Solomon's very bad book--and there's a little more about it in Lift Up Thine Eyes.  Abigail Rockwell has also written a good deal about American Mirror.  Here are some links to this material.

My long review essay in First Things.

My first and second short pieces in Huffington Post.

Abigail Rockwell's first and second Huffington Post pieces.

These pieces are not particularly edifying, since the point of them is to show how badly Solomon has erred.  They shouldn't be necessary, but they are--Solomon's book is still selling, and still being nominated for awards, and such.  I'd like to make this post one of the few negative ones on this blog, and I'm getting it out of the way early.  My next post will also be negative.  I can't say it will be the very last such post--who knows?--but at least it will be the last for the foreseeable future.  Time to lift up our eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment